A top ten list of what has me feeling light as a feather, even though I am doing little more than lounging around like a bump on a log in this terrible heat.
1. The summer issue of Chickpea magazine is out! You can read it for free here.
2. The nectarines at the Market are incredible! I’ve never been a big fan, mainly because I’m not really sure I had ever actually had a nectarine until just this past week, and I am hooked! Raw, grilled, or even drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and roasted with some brussel sprouts and bok choy (yes, I did this, and yes, it was incredible), I declare this the summer of the magical stone fruit!
3. Prehistory! I found the above beautiful dilophosaurus brooch on Etsy, as well as these delightful letterpress cards which were originally created for the Academy of Natural Science. Also, dinosaurs may have been warm-blooded, and Jurassic Fight Club may be the greatest show on television.
4. Speaking of fight clubs, the late night film this weekend at the Art Theater is Fight Club, based on the book of the same name by Chuck Palahniuk. Also opening tomorrow is Moonrise Kingdom, the new Wes Anderson offering. And while I’ll probably waddle my way out of the house to take in at least one of these films this weekend, the Art is on my summer hits list because it is turning into a co-op! I got my share quite some time ago, and I’m excited to see how this develops. This theater is a local treasure, you guys, so go buy a share for yourself and/or a loved one!
5. Dark Chocolate Coconut Bliss, perhaps the most important food-related discovery of my pregnancy. Gestational diabetes is back for me, and I struggle with stabilizing my blood sugars (I’m diet controlled, no insulin) sometimes. I don’t want a bunch of artificial chemical sweeteners, and the ingredients list on this stuff is very reassuring. It’s low on the glycemic index thanks to agave syrup– in fact, my sugars fair better after a serving of this stuff than they do a slice of the most wholesome of breads. Also, it is made with fair trade cocoa! You can get it at Common Ground, and possibly Strawberry Fields.
6. I finally got my own library card. Of course, I used the U of I library quite often, and I usually just made my husband check out books for me from the Urbana Free Library on his card. But no more! Part of my post-partum get-back-in-shape-while-bonding-with-the-kids routine is undoubtedly going to involve hiking over to the library to take advantage of some of the fun children’s activities they offer. Not to mention my current do-nothing-but-gestate-and-read lifestyle will be facilitated by the fat stack of books I carted home yesterday.
7. Twitter! I finally figured out how to make it work for me! I’m following most of my favorite news sites, and I go through my feed in the morning, clicking on the stories of interest. Then, I use a toolbar tab from Instapaper to bookmark everything and come back to reading it when I have time throughout the day. What was about a week ago another useless social networking site has now become yet another way for me to read! Hurray!
8. Homemade popsicles. While the internet is positively littered with recipes for all manner of frozen treats, I’ve taken to just pouring smoothie leftovers into molds and ice cube trays. That one shown is peach strawberry.
9. Making deodorant, foot scrub, toothpaste, and perfumed oils from kitchen/household ingredients. I’ve been making my own cleaning products for a while, and it wasn’t until this pregnancy that I started making my own bath, beauty and personal care items as well. I’ll share some recipes in an upcoming post.
10. Finally, the best thing about this summer? Not seeing my feet 🙂